Blue Sky Farm

My blogging posts and photos are part of me . I think of this as a scrapbook of my life. The names have not been changed.. they are real people who have crossed my path along my journey. Some I know intimately, my family and friends. If their names are mentioned it's a sure sign they are special to me and I love them dearly...come along see for yourself, perhaps you know some of them too..

November 20, 2010

Why, I Can't eat in peace..


I warmed up some leftover waffles this morning for my breakfast. Getting ready to fill my tummy I am interrupted...Can I eat them in peace? Ohhh No... As I look down at my feet, I see Buster sitting very politely waiting for a dropped bite.. or perhaps a quick hand off...( Hmm.   that is not happening.). Then I glance outside to see how hard the snow is falling. ( it has stopped) and There at my window is a Hummingbird.. What is He doing here? He should be far south  by now, or may get caught in the coming Snow storm. I have no sugar water made for a hummer, so we poured a bit of watered down  maple syrup... He immediately started sucking up his fill... and finally as

I look out the front window off the porch I see these sweet birds looking for a few crumbs.. Now I can't leave them without so.. I gave them some too... Now if everyone doesn't mind can I finish my breakfast even though now they are cold... I better hurry before some other critter wants something... Now I am getting cranky..Maybe I can sneak a snack later...

6 comments:

Debby said...

Why are the hummingbirds coming out in the snow. Global warming again, hah. Poor babies. So funny that they laped up the syrup water. Oh I want snow.....send it my way.

Mary said...

Cheryl, It is cold today and getting colder! That was good that the hummer got some nourishment to help him along. It must really be winter now as those are Oregon juncos in your picture and they come here for the winter.

Today a friend and I rode in the indoor arena and ice was sliding down the metal roof. As it fell, it would hit the windowsill of the open "windows" of the arena and splinter into many fragments with tinkling sounds. Snow was falling and then melting against the roof, then falling in sheets in through the open areas. It was like little waterfalls.

All this was nice for me, but my poor Arab/TB was beside himself with the sounds, the ice in the face, and the water spray. He finally stood quietly after an hour of working back and forth, through the mini falls, and past the ice crystals.

Winter is pretty, but there are so many difficulties :-)

Anonymous said...

LOL, our dogs must be related. We were supposed to have snow here but nope. It's really cold though. I'm glad because we have to take our daughter to the airport in Portland so that she can return home to her family. :( That two hour drive each way will be easier without snow.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Cheryl, I'm so glad other people get cranky too! Thanks...you made my day!...:)JP

Sam I Am...... said...

What a sweetie you are to stop and take care of the little ones. That poor hummingbird! He needed that strength you gave him...they probably knew you were "retired"! LOL! It's so funny how people AND animals think that once you're "retired" you are naturally now at their beck and call.....NOT! That was pre-retirement! Ha! Ha!

Little Penpen said...

Cute post... I know all about dogs wanting handouts, but I've never stopped for the birds before. My husband is the bird watcher at our house... he is forever calling me to the windows to "look at this!" Enjoy your snow!